UVic BEd Student

Staying Connected & Aware Through My PLN

“Your professional learning community is your support system”

Brad Baker

In a time now more than ever, indigenous people having a platform to speak up about issues is crucial. Throughout elementary, middle, and high school we are taught about truth and reconciliation through sort of a “filter”. It’s really just information that gets passed down, edited, and taught, with no room for conversation. As Brad Baker mentions on the podcast, there is huge value in hearing the story being authentically told right from the teller (7:57-8:03). That value being all the crucial details that get removed when the story gets passed down. Hearing those unfiltered details not only gives us the truthful story, but it allows us to grow as learners (Baker, 8:03-8:06).

Hearing Indigenous people speak out and tell their stories is a form of open teaching. Defined as facilitation of learning experiences that are open, Brad Baker himself is considerably an open teacher (Veletsianos, 2010). Baker mentioned that social media gives him the platform to educate and bring awareness to his and his family’s stories, especially his father- a residential school survivor (5:01-5:05). The indigenous community has been given the power to reach millions by telling their stories, raising awareness and speaking out about their thoughts and opinions. I know Jesse mentioned on the podcast that he has learned more about the indigenous community through what young indigenous leaders have put on twitter within the past five years than ever before (6:19-6:27). I can attest to this, as I feel a lot more aware and informed than ever before thanks to social media. However, given everything that is happening I had a realization that I really needed to diversify my timeline. I found a few twitter accounts from the Indigenous community to follow to help myself stay educated and aware. I will share a few of them below:

It’s very interesting how things have truly progressed. I can learn more about residential schools if I looked up #residentialschools on twitter than I can learn from opening up a social studies textbook. When I look up that hashtag I have access to thousands of articles, videos, advocates, and so much more information that no textbook could ever provide. As important as learning about history in the classroom is, reading about current events and discussions is just as crucial.

It’s important that if you become an advocate on issues that may be uncomfortable, to be extremely mindful. Cancel culture was briefly brought up in the podcast, and I think it’s important to always keep in mind that things may be interpreted wrongfully online and to think twice if you are overstepping. As Baker says, there is much benefit to healthy and respectful dialogue within your personal learning community online, but it’s important to set up and respect boundaries (5:30-5:36).

Baker, Brad. (2021). Brad Baker Edci 338. Youtube, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5z8iHxW2n4. 

Veletsianos, G., 2010. Emerging Technologies in Distance Education. [online] Aupress.ca. Available at: <https://www.aupress.ca/app/uploads/120177_99Z_Veletsianos_2010-Emerging_Technologies_in_Distance_Education.pdf> [Accessed 14 June 2021].

« »