Post #1: Learning, Motivation, and Theory

Hi Julia,

Thank you for sharing your own personal experience of learning the piano and how it relates to this week’s topic. I also appreciate how you included and referenced Ertmer & Newbys chart. I felt the same about constructivism, as when I grew up I only really had behaviourist instructors. It’s interesting how one instance, or one teacher, can completely change your mind and expose you to new ways of learning. Thanks for sharing!

Hello Kteacher,

Thank you for sharing your experience as a TOC. I never thought about the implementation of your personal teaching style into a classroom which you are subbing for. I can imagine it being extremely difficult trying to teach with a constructivist approach but not knowing the students at all. I think a behaviourist approach is certainly optimal when it comes to subbing. I agree with you that I would like to have a more constructivist approach to teaching, I think it’s important to consider that every learner is different and unique! This was a really interesting read, thanks for sharing 🙂

Post 2: Learning Design 

Hi Emily,

As a fellow peer in the same program, I definitely agree that I am an advocate for inquiry learning! I think it’s highly important for students to have some of the responsibility for their own learning. I think it can be a little bit difficult to facilitate for some students, as some are less independent than others. I know from when I was in elementary school, I  enjoyed inquiry based projects but sometimes struggled when I didn’t have clear cut instructions. However, those assignments and projects are the ones that are memorable as they were so personal and fun to do. Thanks for sharing that video!

Hello Ashlyn,

Thanks for your post on inquiry! I kind of forgot about Montessori schools, until you mentioned them. It seems that there is an emphasis on inquiry based learning more and more than compared to when I was an elementary school student. I’m wondering if that will result in more Montessori schools opening up, as I can’t think of many in my city. Although inquiry tends to line up with some of the same ideals as constructivism, I never thought about how it eliminates the usage of collaborative learning as you mentioned. It could potentially work but doesn’t seem as effective as working independently. Thanks for your insight!