The video I have selected that relates to my interactive resource topic of inclusion  is:

I think TED talks are always a fantastic addition to whatever you may be learning. The talks are interesting, real, lived-through stories coming right from the source that have a bigger message. TED talks have the effect where you are put in the story teller’s shoes, further helping to change your understanding. 

Sara Mauldin tells her story of growing up in a society where those with disabilities are separated from everyone else, and how she was not phased by it until she was in high school. She explains how when she was in elementary school there was a student with a disability in her classroom, and her and her peers didn’t know how to act around them. As someone who lives with a disability myself, I really dislike when people feel the need to “tiptoe” around me or treat me differently, or if they just blatantly stare at my noticeably different features. As it’s been happening most of my life, I can say I’m used to it. If I had one wish, though, it would be for people to be educated on my disability. This is why the education of inclusion for teachers is so important. As much as you learn about how important something is, I feel as if there is another level of comprehension that is reached when you are put into a situation where you need to bring your learning into action. It reminds me of sympathy vs empathy. I think this video would tie in really well at the end of our workshop, so that those who attend the workshop can really understand what their future actions have the power to do. I think this story will really resonate with anyone who watches it, as I know it did with me. I think this video would have the same effect the students as the Shelley Moore one that Emily shared on her blog. 

What activity could you suggest that they do, after they have watched the video (designed)?

An activity that could be done after watching this video includes a discussion between a few of the other workshop attendees. The discussion prompts might look like:

• What are your thoughts on this story?
  • Have you ever seen something similar?
  • Do you have any stories that resonate with you from something you witnessed in school?
  • Have you ever experienced something like this personally?

In what way are they likely to respond to the video on their own, e.g. make notes, do an activity, think about the topic (learner-generated)?

Students are most likely to respond to this video in disappointment, but no surprise. I think most of us have seen the exclusion of students with disabilities at some point during our young educational careers, or even during summer camps/out of school activities. This video may bring up old forgotten things that happened from when we were young, or even bring some realization. 

How will you address any potential barriers for your learners in the use of this video to ensure an inclusive design?

Turning on the captions would not only help students with hearing impairments follow along, but also all students can benefit from following along with the captions. Another idea would be to debrief the content of the video all together afterwards, before breaking off and discussing it with others. 

How much work for you would that activity cause? Would the work be both manageable and worthwhile? Could the activity be scaled for larger numbers of students?

The discussion activity wouldn’t cause much work as the facilitator. I think as long as the prompts are said and clear, students should have no problem discussing with each other as this video is more than likely a mutual one. If groups are struggling to come up with ideas, you could also pitch the idea for groups to join together and share to help get the ball rolling. So in that sense, more students is better. Additionally, as the facilitator, it is never a bad idea to walk around and join in on the groups or help them to get talking by pitching more prompts.